I am now MDes student of Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design in UK.


Have you heard performance craft?
This morning, an interesting journal caught my eye. The latest offering from Belgium’s Needcompany started life as an artwork by choreographer, Grace Ellen Barkey and artist, Lot Lemm. ' It's not often that the worlds of dance and craft collide. But this month the Barbican plays host to an extraordinary performance piece that puts pottery centre stage. ' (Craft, 2008) The forge of two opposite art forms could be treated as an innovation in porcelain area.
'My work is about the failure of love and loving,’ she says. ‘And the absurdness of longing for something perfect, when you know that you always fail. When you have a perfect moment, it will always collapse and be destroyed by another thought or event. That’s something I think can be very comical in humanity and it’s underlying in all my work.’ explains Barkey.
'Perfect moment' is an intriguing concept. Her critical work seemed to provoke people to explore the deep meaning behind surface. How to determine the perfect moment? How to cherish the moment?

I like her work which could bring me deep thought. What is the potential of craft? People always draw attention to the result(products). What about the production process? Which one would be more important? Process or Result?
In addition, performance crafts displayed another kind of beauty to me. It was not traditional exhibition in gallery or museum. It brought new forms and visual angle. It also let me remember some words I like so much:
"People often say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder,' and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. this empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves." (Salma Hayek)

No comments: